Parent Visa

Home > Parent Visa


In many families, the parents and their children are separated geographically, with both hoping to live together as a family in Australia. For it is when that happens that the family feels truly complete. 

A cohesive family that spans generations nurture and support each other through the different stages of life and we at Ten Heads see ourselves as facilitators of happy and united families. 

And the one thing that parents will need for this to happen is a Parent Visa. 


You may be eligible for a Parent Visa if you are the parent or stepparent of an ‘eligible child’. How does the Australian government define an eligible child?

An Eligible Child is:

  • An Australian citizen or

  • An Australian Permanent Resident or

  • An eligible New Zealand Citizen**

The visa options depend on the Balance of family (BoF) test.

You fulfil the BoF test if:

  • At least half of your children and stepchildren are eligible children

  • Or there are more eligible children than (non-eligible) children living in other single country


Subject to fulfilling the BoF Test (as described above) these are the following Permanent Visa Options:

  • 103 – Parent Visa: The processing time for the visa can take up to 30 years. For this reason, it is best suited for young parents.

  • 143 – Contributory Parent visa: The processing time  for this visa type can take up to 4 – 5 years. This visa has a very high 2nd visa application charge (VAC), that is payable just before the grant of the visa. The current 2nd VAC is $43,600 per parent. The VAC generally increases every year on 1st July.

  • 804 – Aged Parent Visa: You are eligible for the visa if you fulfil the ‘aged’ definition, which is currently applicable to parents aged 66 years and over. It is expected to change on 1 July 2021 to 66 years 6 months. The processing time for the visa can take up to 30 years but when you apply onshore you get a Bridging Visa A that lets you live in Australia till the time the visa is processed.

  • 864 – Contributory Aged Parent visa: You are eligible for the visa if you fulfil the ‘aged’ definition, which is currently applicable to parents aged 66 years and over. As above, it is expected to change on 1 July 2021 to 66 years 6 months. And since it is a Contributory visa, a high 2nd VAC needs to be paid. The current 2nd VAC is $43,600 per parent. VAC generally increases every year on 1st July.

Subject to fulfilling the BoF test, parents also have the option to apply for the following Temporary Visa Options:

  • 173 – Contributory Parent (Temporary): This is a temporary visa that is granted for 2 years. The Contributory Parent must be sponsored by an eligible child who is a settled Australian citizen, Australian Permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand citizen**. It is also important to note that  they must not have a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 870) visa when applying for this visa.

  • 884 – Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary): This is a temporary visa that is granted for 2 years. It is important to note that the applicant must be in Australia, but not in immigration clearance, when they apply for this visa and when the Australian Government makes their decision.

However, if Parents DO NOT satisfy the requirements of the BoF Test then they can apply for the 870 Sponsored Parent Visa (or a Visitor Visa):

  • 870 – Sponsored Parent Visa: Under this visa type, parents can visit Australia for up to 3 or 5 years per visa. It is essential to note that the applicants must have an approved Parent Sponsor before they can lodge an application for this visa. They also need to lodge their visa application within 6 months of the sponsorship approval.

One of the other options is for parents to visit their families on a Long-term Visitor Visa.



That’s where Ten Heads can Immigration can help with their expert advice

Here is what we recommend you do:

Step 1: Pl fill in the Parent visa assessment form by providing all details

Step 2: Our Registered Migration Agent will contact you to discuss the options best suited for your situation/needs.


Some other things to note:

Assurance of Support

All parent visa application (except for 870 visa) needs to provide an Assurance of Support (AoS) before the grant of the visa. By signing the AoS, the assurer agrees to repay social security payments claimed by the migrant. An AoS bond also needs to be paid before the grant of the visa.

Health & Character Requirements

All parent visas need to fulfil the health and character requirements. If you have a health or character concern, do contact us so we can help you to understand the implications.

Processing times

The processing times vary significantly and depend on the department’s queue for processing. The visa with the quickest turnaround can be the 870 visa with processing times currently at an average of 6 months.

Onshore or offshore applications

  • All parent visa applications may be applied onshore.

  • For 870 visa – permission to apply onshore is required.

  • When you apply for the Aged parent visas, a Bridging Visa A is provided. The Bridging Visa A lets parents stay in Australia while their application is in progress.

  • Onshore application is dependent on the conditions of your current visa. For example, if there is a ‘No Further Stay’ on your current visa, then an onshore application for a Parent visa cannot be applied. In some circumstances, a waiver of the ‘No Further Stay’ may be possible.

*Parents visa applicants are not eligible for Medicare and other welfare payments. After the visa grant, the eligibility depends on the visa subclass. Please do get in touch with us so we can provide a complete answer.

**You are an eligible New Zealand citizen if you arrived in Australia on a New Zealand passport and were:

  • in Australia on 26 February 2001 and were a special category visa (SCV) holder on that day, or

  • in Australia for a period or periods totalling 12 months in the 2 years immediately before 26 February 2001, and returned to Australia after that day

  • assessed as protected SCV holders before 26 February 2001

So as you can tell, there are multiple options for those considering applying for a Parent Visa. Knowing which one to apply for requires a great deal of experience and expertise in this field. Doing it alone, can result in a frustrating experience and potentially in undesirable outcomes. 

Remember, applying for a Parent Visa is not a D-I-Y (Do-It-Yourself) project. Our migration agent will understand your migration goals and suggest you the best option suited to your requirements.

You can book a 20-minute – complimentary Zoom consultation with our ‘Registered Migration Agent’ to discuss your case.

Call Now ButtonCALL NOW