Australian PR through Global Talent Independent Program – Am I eligible?

Global Talent Program Eligibility Hero Image
Global Talent Program Eligibility Hero Image

Ranked number 4 on the UN’s mid-2020 list of countries – Quality of life index, Australia has managed to always shine bright on the map as an exceptional country to migrate to and settle down in.

If you are also thinking of migrating to the ‘lucky’ country and have high achievements in one of the key designated target sectors, then you may be eligible to apply for an Australian Permanent Residency.

In November 2019, the Australian government launched the Global Talent Independent Program (GTIP). The program was aimed at attracting skilled professionals and researchers in the future-focused target sectors. The program was launched with an aim to boost Australia’s innovation and technological advancement as well as fill crippling labour shortages in these sectors. The Global Talent pathway has a migration planning level of 5000 allocated places in the FY 22 and FY23 program year.

The target sectors for GTIP are:

  • Resources
  • Agri-food and AgTech
  • Energy
  • Health industries
  • Defense, advanced manufacturing and space
  • Circular economy
  • DigiTech
  • Infrastructure and tourism
  • Financial services and FinTech
  • Education

The answers below will help answer a few burning questions regarding GTIP.

What is Australian PR?

Australian PR is a visa that allows you to live and work in Australia as a Permanent Resident (PR). A Permanent Resident has no restrictions and enjoys all benefits as an Australian citizen except for a few rights like voting rights, working in defense, etc.

As a PR you have access to Australia’s free medical insurance scheme, free education for children till grade 12, access to social security/welfare payments, domestic fees for University/college courses etc. As a PR – you are eligible to sponsor eligible relatives to migrate to Australia. You can also choose to apply for Australian citizenship and an Australian passport – after you have lived in Australia as a PR for 4 years.

What are the eligibility requirements for GTIP?

  • You have a track record of high achievements in the above target sectors either as a professional, researcher or a recent graduate
  • You should still be prominent in your field of expertise
  • You would prove to be an asset to Australia in your area of expertise
  • You would be easily employable or can start your own firm – in your area of expertise
  • Your current salary is above the high-income threshold in Australia i.e. AUD 167,500 or you are expected to get a salary above AUD 167,500 in Australia.
  • An Australian citizen, Permanent Resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, or an organization in your area of expertise has to nominate you. The nominator also should be prominent in the same field as you. For an organization to nominate you, the accepted organizations are the peak industry bodies in Australia in your field.

Can my family get permanent residency with me?

Yes, your partner and your children can get permanent residency with you. Your partner may be married to you or in a live-in relationship with you. There are other criteria to be fulfilled for proving that the relationship is genuine. Children above 18 years may still be included in your application if they fulfill certain criteria.

Who can apply?

These cohorts of applicants can access PR through GTIP:

-Experienced Professionals

-Researchers and Scientists

-Professionals in leadership positions

-Entrepreneurs/Business owners

-PhD graduates who have completed their PhD in the last 3 years

Please note that: This program is not for mid-level professionals or entry-level academics. Candidates must demonstrate that they are amongst the brightest and best in their field in one of the priority sectors.

Can I apply from outside Australia?

You can be in or out of Australia to apply for this visa.

Is there an age limit?

You should be between 18 years to 55 years when you apply and be granted the Global Talent visa. But if you have the ability to bring exceptional benefit to Australia, then you could still be granted the visa if you do not fall between this age limit.

There are some health or police issues with me or my family?

Not all health issues or police issues lead to a refusal. Please book an initial consultation with our Registered Migration Agents to discuss.

Do I need to get a job in Australia to be eligible?

No, you do not need to get a job offer in Australia to be eligible for this visa. The visa is granted on the basis of your talent in the target sector.

Is this for me?

We can help you find that out. You can book a consultation with or Registered Migration Agent, who will check your eligibility and then be able to assist you to apply for the PR visa through GTIP.

We have exceptional success in GTIP and would love to use it to your advantage! Call or email us today.

Book a Free 15-Minute Consultation with Registered Migration Agent


Book a Free 15-Minute Consultation with an Experienced Registered Migration Agent